woensdag 15 oktober 2008

Spring rolls that’s not the only thing from China…

I have my favorite book series, a Polish one - “Series with the broomstick”. The writers are only women of various nationalities. Reading those books is like a travel to different countries (doesn’t cost extra fee days at work) and discovering unusual worlds.

My most recent read book “Candy”, written by Mian Mian, tells the story of the young girl Hong (red) and the underground China of the late 80’s through mid 90’s. It is description of 10 years of her life as a difficult child, a night club singer, a party girl, a duck, alcohol and emotional pain addict.

I have asked my Chinese friend at work if she ever herd about this book or the writer but she did not (the book was very controversial and eventually forbidden by the government). She asked me what the book was about, I told her shortly and asked rather it what was happening back then in China, she did not know. She said: “unlikely”. I think she was living in a totally other reality…


Geen opmerkingen: